Monday, May 14, 2012

Contain Yourself

Hope you all had a wonderful Mother's Day this weekend!

On the way to visit my Mom on Saturday, my husband Kevin and I stopped in at the happiest place on earth- obviously The Container Store. We saw so many amazing products and it made us just want to start overhauling houses (including our own).

Here are a few our favorite products that bring simple solutions to common problems in the kitchen.

1. The Expanding Shelf
 This product is awesome for those cabinets that you fill with jars, spices, and boxes that are easily blocked by the row of food in front of them. This shelf basically gives your canned/jarred/boxed food stadium seating, so you can see everything in the back. Another great feature- it expands and contracts to fit your shelf perfectly. Never forget about those hidden split peas again. :)


2. Turntable

This turntable (or Lazy Susan) is so handy for hard to reach corners of cabinets, and is even really helpful in the fridge! Since we all learned about centrifrugal force in jr. high, we are well aware of the fact that items love to fall off of turntables (and we LOVE to spin them quickly!). To prevent this, many of the turntables have ridged rubber tops on them to secure items. Bonus: You can choose a two-teir product if you have wasted space above your turntable:

 3. Four Sort Dividers

 This is a brilliant idea. Don't you hate it when you've stacked all of your baking sheets, pie tins, cake pans, and pizza stones to realize that the one you need is on the very bottom? To make matters worse, when baking sheets are laid flat down, so much space above them is wasted. This amazingly simple product eliminates that frustration and wasted space. Each baking sheet can slide out of your cabinet individually and the spacing is way more efficient!

4. Undershelf Basket


I love this hanging basket because absolutely no instalation is required to hang in your cabinet. Instead of placing mugs or bowls on top of your plates, making them hard to get to, you can utilize the space above them while still allowing for easy access to what is below.

5. Cupboard Shelf
 This is another product that is so simple and makes a world of difference! I used a similar product today in a client's house while organizing the linen closet, and it actually doubled the space! I love this product because it utilizes the entire space of your cabinet, and again, no installation! (Though I do love powertools).

6. Modula Storage Canisters
Kevin and I have always loved the Square Pop Canisters by OXO, and have many of them in our kitchen. We love that you can see what is inside them and they are easy to stack. However, after our visit to The Container Store, these Modula Storage Canisters are my new favorite. I love them for two reasons. First, they are made with grooves to be stackable, so sliding and falling is less likely. Second, they are way cheaper! We love a good deal!


I just love how simple transforming a space can be. These products aren't expensive, flashy, or hard to install, yet they can add space, save time, and even keep your dishes and mugs in better condition by not needing to stack everything. See how simple organizing can be?

Hope you have a wonderful week!

-Tiffany Pope

3 comments:

  1. Tiffany, when are you coming to Indy?! I could use your personal help and attention as I refill my shelves in my remodelled kitchen. Just reading this post helped...will make a trip to the Container Store. Already have many of the products you suggested, so I'm feeling better now. It's just that my spaces have changed, so I can't put things back where they came from. It'll sort out. Are you aware of any resources for what to put in particular spaces? I have many more drawers than before, and they are deeper. Work will be pretty much done today; I'll post a picture on facebook today or tomorrow--let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiff, you've probably figured out that that comment was from Aunt Robyn. Tried to get my name added, but so far no luck. Good for you, by the way, starting a business. You are the new American hero--a small business entrepreneur!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Auntie Ra Ra! Thanks for reading and commenting! I'm glad to hear this blog post gave you some ideas!! Without knowing exactly what your kitchen looks like, I would suggest putting items that "Play Nice" with each other near one another. For example, when you take a glass out, you usually are bringing it to the faucet or the refridgerator, so placing those items close to each other is key. Seasonal items can go up higher and things you use everyday, like mugs, plates, and yummy snacks should be the easiest to grab. I also like having the majority of my dishes near the dishwasher so unloading is less of a mini-marathon. Hope it's all going well and I'm going to check out facebook for updates!! I can't wait to see it!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete